Beer bread is surprisingly simple and quick to make and requires only a few ingredients. It can be enjoyed any time of the year, serving as the perfect side to a hearty soup or with artisan cheese in the wintertime, or as a snack, sliced with a dollop of butter in the spring. It’s versatile, too. Add fresh herbs, cheese, or bacon bits in the bread mix for a change to reflect your tastes, or the seasons.
Ingredients include; 3 cups self-rising flour (sifted), 1/4 cup sugar, 1 (12 ounce) beer, 1/4 cup melted butter (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine sifted flour and sugar. Slowly add beer to the bowl and mix until incorporated. Batter may be lumpy.
3. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. (I used 2 smaller pans each measuring 7.5in x 3.75in)
4. Add melted butter to the top of the loaf for a crunchy crust. If you prefer a softer crust, add melted butter to the batter prior to pouring into loaf pan.
5. Bake loaf for about one hour, until crust is golden brown. Let cool on wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes. Slice and enjoy!