When we turned 30 I made a pretty large match display to light up and every since then I’ve been excited to make candles talk. It’s always fun to put candles on a cake, but when they can say a word or take a shape that is even better! For the holidays, serving candles in festive shapes can be an easy way to take a simple recipe and make it special. Stars, Christmas trees, the word JOY – everything’s just more fabulous when said with a flame.
Taking the simple and making it sparkle is what our holiday mentality is all about. Whether it is updating a cake with a show-stopping topper or gussying up a basic recipe to make it shine, I am committed to a spectacular holiday done with ease. Although cooking all the things from scratch over the holidays sounds nice, it isn’t always possible. That’s why I reach for my Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening and add it to my sneaky half-homemade recipes to add a richer and lighter texture to every cake I bake. I’ve found that when we switch out the butter called for in our favorite boxed recipes with an even amount of Crisco® baking sticks the cakes taste so much better! It tastes almost like there was never a box involved at all. ;)
Holiday Candle Cakes
To make these easy to pull together mini cakes you will need:
- A box of your favorite cake mix
- Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening baking sticks
- Frosting to cover the cakes
- 5-inch baking pans
1. Mix the cakes according to the package directions replacing the butter in equal amounts with Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening. Beat until well combined.
2. Bake each cake in a small 5-inch cake pan and top with frosting before stacking the cakes to get our mini-layered cake effect.
3. Top the cakes with candles mimicking your favorite holiday shapes. Using a toothpick to mark the candle spots is a great way to be sure your design of the shapes is accurate. Once the design is the way you’d like it, place the candles in place.
Light up for a holiday dessert spread that is beautifully bright!
Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening is a great alternative to butter, with 50% less saturated fat and zero grams trans-fat per serving. Discover more recipes by visiting Crisco® on Facebook and Pinterest.
Be sure to visit the Crisco Brand Page on sheknowsmedia.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Erin Holland).