Colorful party hats make every birthday better. These colorful ribbon party hats are made using a technique I’ve loved for years – only made even better with bright colorful ribbons! A fun project for finishing off spring birthday parties.
The way the liquid starch makes the ribbon stand upright creates hats that seem absolutely magical. I can’t imagine a better way to adorn a little one celebrating their special day.
To make the colorful ribbon party hats you will need:
- Colorful Ribbons
- Liquid Starch
- Party Hats
- Paper Towels
- Hot Glue Gun
Colorful Ribbon Party Hats
1. Add your ribbon to a bowl of liquid starch, making sure it’s completely saturated.
2. Start wrapping the ribbon around the party hat, starting from the top and working down. The starch is sticky, so the ribbon should stick to the hat with ease.
3. Repeat this process with several colors, making sure to cover a decent amount of the hat to make sure it’s sturdy once the paper hat is removed.
4. Let the hats sit overnight until the ribbon is stiff and dry.
5. Carefully remove the hat by cutting it with scissors and pulling away from the ribbon.
6. With a hot glue gun, attach little pompoms to top.
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Alyson Lott).