There are easy cake decorating ideas for a simple Tuesday dessert and then there are those cakes you want to stare at for hours. This floral cake is basically a work of art and would make any birthday girl feel like the world was hers for the taking. The process that creating this cake is so simple. Once you learn our trick to do it, you can recreate anything printed onto a cake decoration! It’s basically like becoming a famous cake decorator overnight (at least you’ll be famous on your neighborhood block).
Work Of Art Cake
To turn an ordinary cake into this work of art you will need:
- Powdered sugar
- Food coloring
- Pastry bags, one per frosting color
- A cake (here’s our favorite recipe)
- A work of art printed (big graphic lines do best for this project)
- A piece of glass, an old picture frame is great
- Wax paper
1. Start by making the frosting. Mix 2 cups sugar with 1/3 cup whole milk, 1/4 cup melted butter, and 1 tsp of vanilla.
2. Mix this exact portion in a separate bowl for every different color. To make a similar cake you will need 4 colors of the frosting – this may vary based on your specific cake design.
3. Add in the food coloring, stir, and add the separate frostings to the individual pastry bags.
This next part is where the magic happens.
4. Take your printed paper and place it underneath the glass, place a piece of wax paper over the top, we taped our in place so it doesn’t move.
5. Now you will recreate the design in three easy steps.
- Take your first frosting color and outline the print – place in the fridge to allow the frosting to chill for a couple of minutes.
- Pull it out and start one step two, which is filling in all the details. Use the colors and create the gorgeous art display you’ve been aiming for. Place in fridge again for about 5 minutes to set.
- Lastly you will cover the entire design with a coating of the frosting you are using on the cake. This will allow the pattern to look like it belongs on the cake in that perfect artistic way.
7. Once the designs have fully set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, gently pull the design off of the sheet and place it carefully onto the cake. Pat yourself on the back – you are now a master cake decorator and can recreate this project with anything from a child’s cartoon character… to your favorite family memory.
The options for this cake decorating trick are endless, although I’m a bit obsessed with how this graphic floral print works on a moody birthday cake for fall.
PS. A unicorn cake
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Erin Holland).