Inside: 90s Party Decorations
The 90’s! Out with the leg warmers, the sky-high hair-dos and mullets …and in comes the denim, the curtained hair. From Fresh Prince to Bel Air to Kurt Cobain, the 90s were full of pop culture that has made a lasting impression and many fond memories.
Everyone loved the 90s for one reason or another and these party ideas are sure to hit close to home for anybody.
1.Set up a 90s Games Console
- Include multiplayer games like Nintendo 64, Playstation1, Sega Saturn. These are sure to bring back memories making you nostalgic for those days long gone. So enjoy reliving the fun of these games.
Display the title from the console screen as a great decoration creating that feeling of being back in the 90s.
2. TV and VCR Viewing
- Maybe you have stored away from an old boxy TV, VCR and some VCR tapes. Play some reruns of ‘Friends,’ ‘Seinfeld’ or ‘Everyone loves Raymond.’ What better way to capture the essence of the ’90s.
If you don’t have any of these older electronics around I bet you might find them at your parent’s or grandparent’s attics. If not, perhaps one of your nostalgic friends has held onto these cherished items. If that doesn’t work out, don’t be surprised if you find one for dirt cheap or even free on Craigslist, at a thrift store or garage sale.
Just be sure not to have it playing too loud, keep the volume where it is background ambiance for the setting while your guests are enjoying all the attractions at your party. Your focus is to create an authentic nostalgic experience.
3. 90’s Toys
- Ninja turtles, Furbies, Beanie Babies, troll dolls, Tamagotchis, Bopit, Pogs, Slinkies, you name it. If you played with it then someone else did too.
Attics, yours or your parent’s, will be the likely place where you will dig up any of these toys you or your kids used to play with. Place them around your party space.
If you can’t find any, because you might have thrown them out a long time ago, eBay and charity shops are ideal go-to’s to find a few at really reasonable prices or downright dirt cheap! They are real eye-catchers!
4. Neon colored everything
- Remember when everything turned neon in the early 90s from clothes to adverts, to bus seats? It seemed like if you could make it neon, then it was the real thing.
5. Colored geometric patterns
- Find a tapestry or two with this classic pattern. This can be the table-cloth or draped over a couch or side table for emphasis.
6. CD Player and CDs
- Remember when you got your first CD player? You would play the same 10 songs on repeat in your room. You would be waiting months for the new Backstreet Boys album to come out or maybe Nsync was your jam.
So now you’re wondering where you put your old CD player. If you can’t find it you can get a 90s style CD player at your local thrift stores or Ebay.
Don’t forget your stack of 90s music CDs to stack up next to your CD player. You can even use some of them as cup coasters to add an extra authentic feel.
Dual functions – for the music and an addition to your party décor.
7. Disposable cameras
- A few cheap disposable cameras scattered around will invite your guests to take pictures of the old fashioned way!
A fun and unique thing to do and offers people creative opportunities while preserving memories of the party which you can make copies to later send some to your friends. +++
8. Decorate yourself!
- Dress up as iconic and famous characters such as Bob Ross, Fresh Prince, the choice is endless! Choose from famous 90s couples like Ross and Rachel.
Always fancied yourself as a bit of a Kate Moss? Well now is your chance! Or you could even go for a group theme and dress up as the Spice Girls or Destiny’s Child. There really are so many different 90s icons to choose from.
- Remember those guys that used to walk around with their pants way too low and with a big clunky boombox blasting music too close to their ears? Well you and your guests could be that guy!
- Has an old brick phone lying somewhere? A Gameboy perhaps? An old desktop pc? Whatever you can get your hands on will transform your party ambiance and add to the theme for the enjoyment of all.
11. Posters, Posters, Posters
- Easy to put up and take down, probably the easiest and fastest way to give a real 90s feel to any party. Posters are a sure way to get people reminiscing about the 90s.
From iconic 90’s TV show posters like ‘Friends’, ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’, ‘Seinfeld’, ‘Family Matters’, ‘Fraser’, ‘Home Improvement’, ‘The X-Files’, ‘The Simpsons’, ‘Cheer’s, ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’, the list goes on and on.
Let’s not forget about some popular movie posters like Jurassic Park, The Matrix, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, Toy story, Titanic or any other favorites of the day. It’s recommended to get some removeable sticky pads to prevent any damage to your wall though some good quality sticky putty and some common sense should work just fine.
Posters aren’t limited to TV shows and movies. Check out the bands! Girl/boy bands were all the rage in the 90s and there is a long list to choose from like Destiny’s Child, Nsync, Backstreet Boys, Spice girls, 702, Atomic kitten, Take That, etc., etc., etc.
12. Paper Fortune Teller
- Also known as a cootie catcher and chatterbox. If you were a kid in the 90s you were sure to remember these.
Decorate these with 90s characters or catchphrases to use as a fun game or conversation starter. They are easy and fun to make and best of all practically free! Just place them around the place, on tables and countertops for example for a guaranteed way to spark some nostalgia.
13. Slap bands
- These were so common in the 90s you could probably fill a stadium with the ones left over in people’s homes.
14. Jazz Cups
- Is there anything more quintessentially 90s than the paper jazz cup?! These cups were found at parties, on TVs, in offices and even dentists had them.
Everyone has this pattern burned into their memory for better or for worse and therefore these are an absolute must for any 90s themed party.
15. Icon Bunting
- All you need is a printer, glue and some string and you can make your own 90s icon bunting from the many logos that were relevant in the day.
The choices are plenty. From TV you can choose Friends, Seinfeld, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Rugrats, even the Nickelodeon channel. Other 90s pop culture would include Blockbuster Video, Windows PC logo of the day, Nintendo 64, old sports team logos, old soft drink logos, etc. The list goes on.
16. Gold Chain Balloons
- Hip Hop music really exploded in popularity in the 90s. Every successful 90s Hip Hop artist showed off their newfound success with a big gold chain. Puff Daddy, Tupac, Biggie smalls, Nas, EVERYONE had them.
Whether you liked Rap or not there is no doubt that the genre had a huge impact on pop culture as rappers were among the biggest stars of the 90s.
Whether you were a parent in the 90s, a kid, young adult or not even born yet, there is no doubt that the 90s have influenced your life in one way shape or form.
From music tastes to fashion the 90s are here to stay. You can still enjoy and celebrate one of the most colourful and eccentric eras in history with any of these party ideas for the ultimate 90s experience with your loved ones.