Since we all loved the animal cracker milkshakes I featured earlier this year, I’ve asked Andrea to pop in and teach us how to make an ice cream version of the yumminess.
Animal cracker ice cream!
This recipe is made with the cookies mixed inside for a super tasty treat. I can imagine it going over wildly well with the kids for our upcoming parties – just stick a candle in the ice cream cone before singing happy birthday! With the weather warming up, the animal cookie ice cream is a special treat we can make together any day of the week. I mean… how can you not love a pink sprinkled camel in your ice cream!?!
To make the animal cookie ice cream you will need:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup pink frosting
- 1 bag Circus Animal Cookies
- ½ cup rainbow nonpareil sprinkles
- Optional: colorful ice cream cones (or color your own!)
Animal Cookie Ice Cream
1. Combine the milk, heavy whipping cream, half the sugar, salt, and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking intermittently.
2. While heating, separate the egg yolks, then combine the egg yolks and the other half of sugar in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
3. When the milk mixture has come to a boil, pour ⅓ of it into the egg mixture and stir. Then pour another ⅓ and stir, and then the final ⅓ and stir.
4. Next, pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, but do not let it come to a boil.
5. Then transfer the mixture to a new bowl, allow it to come to room temperature, cover with cling wrap, and then refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
6. After mixture is chilled, follow the manufacturer’s instructions on your ice cream maker to make the ice cream.
7. While the ice cream is churning, break 2/3s of your Circus Animal Cookies in pieces, but save some whole cookies for the top.
8. When your ice cream is in the last minutes of churning, add the cookie pieces and your rainbow sprinkles to the ice cream so it all mixes in.
9. Then transfer 1/3 of the ice cream to a freezer safe container. Drizzle some pink frosting on top of it before adding another 1/3 of ice cream. Repeat with the frosting.
When serving up the yummy animal cracker ice cream be sure to top with extra sprinkles and whole cookies for garnish everyone will love!
(Recipe creation + Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Andrea Ament).