Seeing as how my kids go through a pack of bananas every couple days, a banana cake seems fit for just about any celebration! Taking away the normal play of monkeys & bananas, we’e updated the idea to make a cake that is vividly colorful and supremely fun.
This cake is BANANAS, B-A-N-A-N-A-S.
There is no better end to summer than a sweet and simple banana cake. This cake is always perfectly refreshing and delicious. I paired a traditional cream cheese icing with this yummy cake, and let me tell ya it is wonderful.
Feeling fruity!?! Here are a couple more fruit inspired party ideas:
Banana Cake Recipe
Make a banana cake with this fun and colorful recipe
- 3 Mashed Bananas
- 2 ½ Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ Cup Milk
- 3 Cup Flour
- ½ Tablespoon Baking Soda
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ⅔ Cup Butter Softened
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- ⅓ Cup Butter Softened
- 3 - 3 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350
- Place 1 ½ tablespoons of lemon juice to your 1 ½ cups of milk. Set this aside.
- Mix together mashed bananas with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Also set aside.
- Beat together your butter, brown, and white sugar until combined.
- Add in eggs one at a time and then vanilla. Mix on high until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk to
- your egg mixture. (Do not overmix)
- Fold in bananas.
- Pour batter into your prepared pans and bake for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Cream together butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time until you reach desired consistency.
How To Frost a Banana Cake
When frosting the banana cake, we took towards a colorful display of fun inspired by our favorite fruit. Going with yellow and white stripes is an obvious choice, but this can be updated to match whatever party colors you are aiming for.
- Start by piping the frosting into lines along the side of the cake.
- With a spatula, gently flatten out the piped lines and carefully blend until you and the stripes frosted on the cake.
- Next heat up the coordinating color, we picked pink of course and drizzle using a spoon over the top of the cake.
Banana Cake Topper
To top the banana cake we went with fun banana cookies! We found adorable ones right here.
To make a cake topper out of the banana cookies you’ll use royal icing to attach a small popsicle stick to the back of each cookie. Be sure to allow the frosting to fully set/dry before placing the banana cake topper on the cake.
Ready to go bananas with this fun cake? Match it with these fun frozen bananas for a party spread as sweet as anything.
(Photos & video @ASubtleRevelry created for us by Whitney Gray)