It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here. In our house that means sugared cranberries, cookies and presents of course. Giving food presents to our acquaintances is something I love to do. I’m so excited to give these cake presents, they are just the right idea for a sweet and simple present exchange.
I mean who doesn’t love cake? Especially when it’s shaped like a present!?
Hand over a small plate of these or serve them one at a time at a brunch for a tasty way to end a holiday meal.
To make the Christmas cake presents you will need:
- Your favorite cake batter
- White fondant
- A mini square silicone mold (like this one)
- Sugar sheets in red and pink
- Your favorite frosting
1. Bake your cake in the square silicone molds. Once the cake has cooled, remove from the mold and cut off the irregular tops so the cake is flat.
2. Put some frosting on the top of one square and layer the other square on top of it, so you have a two-tiered cake!
3. Roll out your fondant to 1/8″ thick and cover the cake. Trim away any edges.
4. With your sugar sheets, use scissors to cut out a long strip about 1/4″ wide.
5. Wet the back of the sheet with a little bit of water and attach it across the square cake in both directions.
6. With the sugar sheet again, fold a bow and wet the sheet to keep it held together. Attach the bow to the top of the present cake with a little bit of water to make sure it stays. Enjoy!
From teachers, to co-workers everyone will adore a sweet cake present this coming week. What homemade treats are you gifting this year? Last year we did bourbon sugared cranberries which are also a hit.
(Recipe + Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Sam Ushiro).