Although I can never own one – because my face would swell up like a puffer fish and then probably fall off! – I have always had a soft spot for cats. In their honor we made this colorful cat garland a while ago that you loved so much! To continue the cat love (without having a real cat) trend, we created this cat doormat that will let everyone who steps inside know exactly which furry creature you adore most. It’s a way to say, “I’m a cat lady,” without ever needing to open your lips.
Plus, with it being August and fall creeping in so quickly, this cat doormat is a fun project for sprucing up the front door.
Also we decided to paint the front door navy and I love it like crazy!
To make the cat doormat you will need:
- a basic doormat like this plain Coco Coir one
- Good quality scissors or an x-acto knife
- Spray paint & fabric paint for the details
- Our cat face template
1. Start by cutting a cat shape out from the doormat. Any doormat will work for this project. Since you’ll be spraying right over it, you can even use the not so hot one that’s been sitting out all summer long.
Use scissors if you can, or turn the mat over, trace and cut from the back with an x-acto knife.
2. Spray the entire doormat in the color of choice being sure to cover any markable words or designs.
3. Place your cat template, or if you’re feeling brave, freehand draw the cat face onto the doormat. If using a template, cut it out from paper and lay it carefully onto the doormat to trace. Use fabric paint or acrylic depending on the mat texture; paint in the eyes, nose and cat whiskers to complete the doormat.
Say a hello to everyone with this funky place to stop. Cat lovers will adore it obviously, and cat haters won’t mind wiping their feet on it – so it’s a win either way! ;)
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Ashlyn Savannah Photo).