Happy November! It’s officially pie season, my favorite time of year, and it’s so hard to pick a favorite flavor. We’ve created everything from pool float pies to typography pies over the past years. While I know pumpkin pie is usually the star of the dessert table, this year I wanted to share a fun take on a rainbow sweet potato pie recipe topped with a colorful rainbow marshmallow meringue.
Nothing says Thanksgiving more than sweet potatoes and marshmallows. So why not make it in the prettiest version possible.
Rainbow Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
To make the rainbow sweet potato pie you will need:
- Mini 4” tart pans
- Pastry bag
- French Tip decorating tip
- Gel food colors, I used hot pink, yellow, and blue
To make the ginger spice cookie crust you will need – Makes 6 Mini 4” tarts:
- 2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ ground ginger
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, add butter, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla extract and egg and mix on medium speed until well combined. Add in half of the flour and mix until combined, then add the rest of the flour, cinnamon and ginger. Continue to mix on medium speed until the dough begins to form and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
2. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and shape into a disc. Refrigerate for at least one hour before rolling out. If you’re a late night baker like I am, this is the perfect stopping point if you need to break up your baking into a couple of days.
3. Once dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Next, lightly flour your rolling surface and, working with half of your dough, roll out to ¼” thickness. Carefully place the dough over your tart pan and gently press down to form your shell. You can fill any tears with additional dough. Continue with the rest of your tart pans. Don’t worry if they’re not perfect, you’ll be filling the shells and no one will even notice.
4. Bake your tart shells at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Allow your shells to cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from the tart pans. Move to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before filling.
Rainbow Sweet Potato Pie Cream Cheese Filling
To make the sweet potato cream cheese filling you will need:
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup canned sweet potato puree
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip heavy cream on high until stiff peaks have formed.
6. In a separate bowl, combine sweet potato puree, whipped cream cheese, powdered sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined and mixture is smooth.
7. Gently fold whipped cream into the sweet potato mix and fill your ginger cookie shells.
Sweet Potato Pie Rainbow Marshmallow Meringue
To make the marshmallow meringue topping you will need:
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch cream of tartar
- Candy Thermometer
8. Place a medium bowl over a pot of simmering water. Add egg whites and sugar into the bowl and whisk until the temperature reaches 137 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
9. Remove mixture from heat and add to the bowl of stand mixer. Mix on high until you have stiff, glossy peaks.
10. Separate marshmallow meringue and color with gel food colors. Take your piping bag fitted with the French decorating tip and add your meringue alternating each color.
11. Pipe mini swirls on the top of each of your tarts for a colorful sweet potato pie.
These sweet potato pies are so much fun. They are a gorgeous way to bring color to your Thanksgiving table and would be absolutely adorable as place settings if it’s your turn to host this year.
(Project recipe, styling, and photography @A Subtle Revelry by Brandi Van Leer).