It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! With sugar plum fairies, holiday parties, and joy all around this Christmas sheet cake fits right in! Be the sparkle to all your holiday parties by making this adorable and festive Gingerbread house cake made by cutting up a gingerbread sheet cake – watch as I show you how.
I love making the most of the holidays! Going to look at lights, baking, and of course watching Hallmark movies till I start seeing double! One of my most favorite holiday activities is attending Holiday parties. Who doesn’t love a good ugly Christmas sweater or white elephant party?
I am obsessed with everything sweet and good, but making our Christmas desserts stand out amidst the see of cookies isn’t always easy. This gingerbread house cake though will easily set you apart and the kids will adore cutting up the sheet cake at Christmas time.
How to make a ginger bread house from your Christmas sheet cake
I love taking this Christmas sheet cake with me to every party this season. It’s easy, delicious, and SO CUTE! Watch here to see how we cut up an everyday sheet cake to bring this Christmas gingerbread house to life.
Christmas Sheet cake
A Christmas sheet cake that brings to life our favorite gingerbread house in colorful fun.
Gingerbread house cake
- Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ¼ cup water
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
Mix all the cake ingredients together and place in greased sheet pan.
Bake for 35 minutes in a pre-heated 325 degree oven. Allow cake to fully cool.
Mix the cream cheese icing
Using a hand mixer, whip all cream cheese icing ingredients until light and fluffy.
Use outline for cutting gingerbread house cake shown in video to create your houses and decorate.
Supplies for making your gingerbread house cake come to life
To decorate your gingerbread Christmas sheet cake here are the supplies you’ll need
- 1 baked sheet cake using the Betty Crocker gingerbread cake recipe above
- White Cream Cheese Icing (see recipe above)
- Colored Cream Cheese Icing
- Various Icing Tips – We used 2D tip,12 tip, and 5 tip
- Piping Bags
- Multicolored Sprinkles
- Cookie Cutters
How to decorate your Christmas sheet cake into gingerbread house cuteness
1. To prepare for creating your gingerbread house cake, you will need to prep your supplies. First, by baking your Christmas sheet cake and making your cream cheese icing according to our Christmas sheet cake recipe above.
2. Once your cake has been baked and cooled, use a large cutting knife and cut the cake in half going width ways. Leave one half for the base of your house. Using the second half cut that in half going diagonally, this will be your gingerbread house cake roof. And make one more cut at about 4in rectangle for your chimney. Watch the video to see this in action.
- Then lucky you, there is some extra for a baking treat!
3. To start decorating the Christmas sheet cake, use your cookie cutters and press them slightly into the cake, this will create an outline for you to follow with your icing.
4. Use your 12 tip and pink icing and outline your door of the gingerbread house cake, and the 5 tip and green icing to outline and fill in your Christmas trees. Once you have applied your icing, use a spatula to smooth it out.
5. Next use your 5 tip and your white icing to draw your windows, decorate roof, and create your snow. Then use 12 tip to outline your entire Christmas sheet cake.
6. Add sprinkles, just like frosty’s hat, they make the gingerbread house cake come to life!
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Whitney Gray).