With winter fast approaching and the holidays here – a snowy cake that is rich tasting hits the spot perfectly. We made these “snowy” chocolate cakes in partnership with ZICO Natural 100% Coconut Water for a fresh take on a favorite recipe and topped the entire thing with “snowy” coconut flakes. Friends, this chocolate cake strikes that perfect balance of rich and fresh and the coconut flakes add the best sweetness and crunch to the top. Plus with a little sled topper this cake is ready to be the star of any holiday dessert table.
Snowy Chocolate Cake
To make the snowy chocolate cake you will need (per cake):
- 1 1/2 cup ZICO Natural 100% Coconut Water
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- 3 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 3 cups chocolate frosting
- 2 cups coconut flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour one bunt cake pan (or, use two small regular cake pans for a layered cake instead). Combine the chocolate and 1/2 cup of the ZICO Natural 100% Coconut Water in a small saucepan and set over very low heat. Cook, stirring vigorously as the chocolate begins to melt, until the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool.
2. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, and sift them together onto a large piece of waxed paper. Put the butter and sugar in the bowl and beat until smooth and well blended. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the vanilla and the cooled chocolate mixture and beat until blended. Then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Mix in the last 1-cup of ZICO Natural 100% Coconut Water. Then place the batter in the pan. Bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a cake comes out clean.
4. Remove the pan from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes, then turn out cake onto a rack to finish cooling completely.
5. Once the cake is cooled, frost with dripping chocolate frosting. Do this by warming the frosting slightly and using a large spoon to run it over the top. While the frosting is still cooling, sprinkle on the coconut flake snow.
This cake is a great treat for a chilly winter evening and will keep if made in advance 3 days. The freshness of ZICO Natural 100% Coconut Water and adorable snow topping will be something your guests talk about all season long. After all a chocolate cake is really about what’s inside… Share how you bring a fresh taste alive with #InsideIsEverything
This post is done in partnership with ZICO Natural 100% Coconut Water.
(Photography @A Subtle Revelry by Ali Denney)