Caramel apples are our favorite treat this time of year. We’ve painted them before and used hard candy to coat them, but I’ve been dying to actually color the treats in bright hues. I am so excited to bring a bit of daily revelry into the caramel apple making business. Luckily, our local grocery store had pink caramel in stock (you can find it online right here), from there a cake was obviously necessary.
Colorful caramel apple cake
To make the caramel apple cake you will need
- Colorful caramel
- A favorite cake
- Pretty sticks for the apple tops
- Clean and dry the apples and place a colorful stick into the top of each one.
- Melt the caramel with a splash of milk over low heat, stirring continually.
- Once the caramel is melted turn the pan on its corner and gently dip each apple into the caramel. Hold the apple in mid-air for a minute allowing it to drip to prevent air bubbles.
- Place the apples onto a wax paper covered cookie sheet and allow to cool and harden
- Use a large spoon to set some of the caramel onto the top of the cake. Allow it to drip over the sides for a pretty and fun fall treat.
This project was completely last minute (hence the i-phone photos), but the kids went wild for it so I knew you’d want to see. #reallife :)