Last spring, we made a cotton candy cake, which was basically cotton candy frosted to a cone. You guys loved it as much as I did! But I love the idea of giving each guest a little cake of their own even more.
In the debate of cake vs. cupcake I am hard pressed to judge a winner. In the heat of that debate the idea for these cotton candy cupcakes was born. They are a cupcakes, baked snow cones, frosted, and topped with cotton candy. I mean really, does anything sound better than that?
And… since making more cotton candy is obviously at the top of my New Years resolution list (Thanks to my brother for sending us a fun cotton candy maker!). I figure it’s a great way to make any
party day more sweet. It’s like bringing the best part of the circus home to party and wouldn’t these be adorable with our Trolls cupcake toppers, the cotton candy is perfect troll hair!
To make the cotton candy cupcakes you will need:
- Snow cone cones
- Cotton candy
- Your favorite vanilla frosting
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cotton Candy Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Crumple up sheets of tin foil and stick them in the cavities of a cupcake pan. Stick the snow cone cones into the tin foil so they stand up straight.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Once combined, mix into butter mixture slowly, alternating between the milk and the flour until both have been poured in completely. Stir in vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Fill the snow cone cones 3/4 of the way and place the pan in the oven for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Once completely cooled, frost the tops of the cakes and finish off with a pouf of cotton candy. Add candles as needed.
I always vote for freshly homemade cotton candy when it’s up to me, but if you don’t want to hassle with renting (or buying) a machine you can purchase cotton candy in bulk at Smart & Final.
Set the cotton candy cupcakes out at each place setting and just watch your family’s sweet eyes light up at the fun.
(Project design and photography @A Subtle Revelry by Sam Ushiro).