Our sweet pup turned six this month and we threw a little doggie birthday party! We made a dog birthday cake for the event with really fun dog treat birthday candles. Perfect for celebrating our favorite pup around! These doggie bone treat candles make me just giddy. I mean a birthday cake for dogs! How could you go wrong with that?
The cake was easy to make and the candles are especially fun to light and sing around. Once we cut off the charred end they became an eatable present for our family’s loyalest friend. Along with this dog birthday cake recipe which is totally safe for your pup to eat and made out of her absolute favorite things…
Dog Birthday Cake
To make the dog birthday cake recipe you will need:
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sweet potato or squash
To make the dog birthday cake frosting you will need:
- 1 small banana
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tsp butter, softened
- 3 tbsp flour
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour and baking soda in one bowl. Mix the butter, oil and eggs in a separate bowl.
2. Stir the sweet potatoes, squash or whatever veggie your pup likes the best. Feel free to stir a little bacon into the cake as well. I mean it is a cake made for dogs after all! Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix to combine.
3. Bake in a small cake pan for 25 minutes.
4. Allow to cool. While the cake is cooling whip all frosting ingredients together for a sweet topping to this new favorite dog friendly birthday cake.
Dog Treat Birthday Candles
To make the dog treat candles you’ll start by breaking apart a thick rope toy into smaller rope sections and wrap them individually in the dog pretzel dough. Leave about an inch of rope sticking out of the top and cover the rope with tin foil while baking.
To make the Dog birthday cake candles that are safe and editable combine:
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup dry milk
- 1/2 tbsp salt.
Once mixed, add in:
- 1/2 a beaten egg
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2/3 cup water
1. Mix well and kneed on a hard surface until your dough becomes a bit more firm.
2. Place ropes in the dough and roll the pretzel around the rope, leaving a little rope out on each end. Bake 350 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and firm.
Once the cake is made and the candles are place on top, the entire birthday celebration will be ready for your favorite pup! It is all easy for him to eat and enjoy. Celebrating the best pets to have. ;)