Spring always makes me skip a little more often. There’s just something in the air this time of year and our kicks should feel the spring love too. We’ve been obsessed with embroidering shoes and created this line up of white kicks that have been embroidered with faux flowers & pretty thread. The shoes just SCREAM spring fun! They’re a great idea to replace party hats for a friend’s birthday or to create a whimsical look for all that spring bridal party fun.
Using variations of different flowers and designs – each pair of shoes is it’s own unique creation. The embroidery trend seems to be popping up everywhere these days, and I love when a good trend is also an easy DIY update. With very little skill needed, embroidery is the perfect craft option to jump into the sewing world in a way that is simple and fun to create.
DIY Embroidered Kicks
To make the DIY embroidered kicks you will need:
- Simple kicks in any color of the rainbow
- Embroidery thread
- A hand embroidery needle, we used size7
- Faux Flowers
1. Start by designing the shoe, laying out the flowers to include and picking which embroidery design you will create. The flowers should be hand sewn onto the shoe from the backside anywhere they won’t be embroidered onto the front of the shoe.
2. Use a light pencil to sketch out the design onto the shoe – this makes following your own design vision easy to actually embroider.
2. Next start the sewing. Embroidery may sound fancy, but it is really just hand sewing with larger spaces between the needle points. Use variation in the lengths of thread to provide detail and fun spunk to the kicks.
Sometimes we craft for no other reason then it is just pure joy. Try your hand out with this style of shoe for a funky spring party idea – They really made me happy. I’d love to see a lineup of bridesmaids wearing these under those fancy dresses – what fun!
And as long as we have the needle and thread out, here are a few other easy DIY embroidery projects to try:
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Ashlyn Savannah Photo).