Inside: DIY letter board
I’m a big fan of letter boards and how easily they can express exactly the thing I needed to say. But the black backdrop isn’t exactly my favorite and it’s quite hard to find one that is large in size affordably. Instead, we decided to make an extra large DIY letter board. We used bright colors for the backdrop – because obviously. ;) I love it so much! The piece is great fun and will be a perfect backdrop for everything from a party backdrop to a kid’s playroom.
Our version works like a felt board so it is easy to move around the letters and make the board say whatever the Pinterest worthy quote is inspiring today.
Great Ideas for Your DIY Letter Board
Now that you’re learning to make this amazing DIY letter board, now you need something to say! Check out these fun saying ideas!
- Here are some fun sayings for your boyfriend or husband, just to say I love you!
- Adorable Baby Shower Quotes
- Adventure Quotes, perfect for the explorer in your life!
You can use the instructions below to make the DIY letter board in any size that you can find a frame for, although I am a big fan of this extra large version. And any color (this small but awesome rainbow version could be a great inspiration).
Extra Large DIY Letter Board
To make the DIY letter board you will need:
- Felt in the colors of choice
- A large frame (without the glass)
- A large piece of cardboard or art to cover
- 4-5 sheets of foam core posterboard
- Stencils for cutting out the letters
- Small pieces of velcro
- Hot glue
1. Start with the letters. Use a set of stencils to trace and cut out letters from a sheet of foam core board. On the backside of each letter glue or stick a small piece of velcro to allow the letters to attach to the board with ease.
2. To create the actual DIY letter board – cut strips of the foam core board into long skinny pieces. Since our board frame really is large and our stencils were also large we went with 4 inch pieces. Choose your piece size dependant on the board and stencil size you have. Cut enough strips to cover the board horizontally from top to bottom.
3. Glue the foam core board to the large back piece and allow to set. Then cover the entire board with a piece of fabric grade felt. Gluing at the top, sides and into the cracks as you go down the board. Smooth the fabric as it’s glued.
Hang the extra large DIY letter board anywhere imaginable. From outside for a summer party, to welcoming friends in the guest room, to resting on the dinning table for the holidays… this piece is well worth the one hour effort and is already carrying us through many hosting transitions with funky party fun.
What will yours say???
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Ashlyn Savannah Photo).