When we moved into the new house last spring we had about 26 lights to switch out! It felt a little overwhelming to say the least. In some of the rooms (like the kitchen), we went with a more traditional light fixture, but some of the rooms were just screaming out for a funky DIY idea update. This hanging pendant is currently lighting up the kids craft/study room and it’s a whimsical colorful focal point in the room. The best part is that the light is an Ikea hack and made for under $10!
Hanging Ikea Light Hack
To make the hanging Ikea pendant you will need:
- 1 plain white pendant light with hard wiring attached
- A length of thin and thick yarn
- A set of pendant beads
- Paint in a few favorite shades
1. Start by updating the pendant beads. These can be painted any color to make the light work in various spaces. I particularly love the bright rainbow combo we have happening to add a happy touch to a crafting space. Allow the beads to fully dry and then string them onto the pendant cord before instillation.
2. After the beads are strung onto the wire begin adding yarn to adorn the pendant. Start by adding a thin string as a grid form and then add thicker yarn for texture and a creative touch. The result is a fun way to turn the lamp into a custom piece the entire family loves.
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Erin Holland).