I saw these amazing light bulb terrarium favors in Crystal and Troy’s wedding featured on Ruffled. Their whole wedding was filled to the brim with DIY goodness! These place cards/favors jumped out at me a perfect way to thank guests at any fall celebration.
Crystal, the lovely new bride and is here today sharing with us the instructions for making these place cards/favors.
(Top photos by Dreambox Photography)
Light bulb terrarium tutorial
Light bulb terrarium materials:
Light bulbs (globe, incandescent, clear), Tillandsias, dry moss, spray Paint (flat black), metal wire, stationary, self adhesive silicone bumpers.
Light bulb terrarium process:
- Hollow out light bulbs, a great online tutorial on how to do this can be found HERE. We ended up having a ‘light bulb breaking party’ with a few friends that made the process easier.
- Some light bulb brands are easier to ‘break’ then others (do not use SATCO brand) this can be a time saver if you have a ton of bulbs. Make sure to wear safety goggles!
- Spray paint the cap of the light bulb to flat black for a cleaner look
- Use Tillandsias to fill the terrariums, affordable ones can be found HERE. Order them about a week before the event.
- Print the place cards at home; guest’s name on front and instructions for care of terrarium on the inside. Here is our version for inspiration…
- Finally assemble the terrarium with a bit of moss and a Tillandsia (you may need to trim to fit through the small opening); attach the silicone bumpers on the bottom for stability.
- Hole-punch place card and secured with metal wire.