This post is sponsored by Disney Publishing.
It’s about this time of year that I start craving comfort, friends, home and all things warm. Having a best friend that you can connect with and learn about the world alongside is one of the most valuable achievements in life. I’ve been reading the new Diva and Flea book with my kids and talking about the great friends they’ve made this year. We’ve dreamed up a craft that incorporates our favorite things about the book – namely the comfort that comes from having a friend. And what is more comfortable than a set of pillows?
Creating and painting canvas pillows is a great way to craft with friends this fall. How fun to make a matching party set. Like a best friend necklace – only way more comfortable.
To create the best friend canvas party pillows you will need:
- Canvas pillow bases which can found at most craft stores (or here online)
- Fabric paint
- Paint brushes
- Lose batting
- Twine, buttons and other simple elements to add on to the pillows
Best Friend Party Pillows
- Wash and dry the covers, making sure the canvas base is free from any debris.
- Paint the pillows in fun patterns and textures. I love how the big black polka dots look on the plain canvas. We also did a number of the pillows with different designs on the fronts and backs. Make a matching set with your best friend, or create an entire matching pile to hand out as gifts to all the friends who bring you comfort. Using party clad words makes the entire project merry and fun – perfect for that first ever best friend sleep over party.
- Allow the paint to fully dry, then stuff each pillow with lose batting. Hug each pillow tight to determine the right amount of stuffing for comfort.
- Finish off the pillows with twine, buttons, or by sewing on little elements to add extra detail.
Snuggle up with the fun friendship party pillows and read this sweet new book to the kids: Diva, a small yet brave dog, and Flea, a curious streetwise cat, develop an unexpected friendship in this unforgettable tale of discovery. For as long as she could remember, Diva lived at 11 avenue Le Play in Paris, France. For as long as he could remember, Flea also lived in Paris, France—but at no fixed address. When Flea flâneurs past Diva’s courtyard one day, their lives are forever changed. Together, Diva and Flea explore and share their very different worlds, as only true friends can do.
THE STORY OF DIVA AND FLEA by Mo Willems, illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi released into stores on October 13th. See more about the collaborative process behind this book right here and learn more right here.
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Erin Holland).