I’m a big fan of the summer pool float craze and after loving last year’s graphic print floats, we had to do another fun pool float DIY this summer. To get the look of a custom fabric pool float for teeny fraction of the price we used a little DIY muscle and updated dollar store pool floats once again! Turning the average plain pool float into custom designed statement piece that will be happily floating all summer long.
Be it palms, pineapples, or a bright floral pattern… these affordable floats can be designed with any print imaginable. I adore the thought of creating them around a pool party theme! Even if they are just to brighten up a family day at the beach the rafts will have you floating in colorful style all summer long.
Printed fabric DIY pool floats
To make the custom fabric DIY pool floats you will need:
- Pool floats
- Pretty outdoor fabric in your fav pattern
- Mod Podge
- A paint brush
1. Start by laying the pool float down not blown up and place the fabric over it to cut to size. The easiest way to do this we found was to put the fabric backside up directly over the float and then trace the float from underneath it onto the fabric. You will want the cut to leave about 3-4 inches room, so once the tracing is done, cut outside the tracing about 4 inches.
2. Blow up the pool floats and begin to mod podge the fabric onto the float section by section. Brushing the Mod Podge onto the fabric and then smoothing it out onto the float by hand.
3. To make a perfect circle you will have to cut the fabric in 2 or 3 spots. We used a separate small length of the fabric to cover these cut marks, which you can see in the photo above.
4. Once all the fabric is on the DIY pool floats do one last coverage of Mod Podge over the entire float to make sure everything is secure and water protectant.
These floats are such a cheery way to brighten up the beach this summer. Hooray for long beach days ahead!
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Ashlyn Savannah Photo).