I’m so in love with this pom pom statement earring trend, but what’s more fun than these happy little accessories? A pom pom fashion cupcake in the style of the earrings trend, that you can eat!!! For my pom earrings, I chose pink and gold, because February is the month of love and well, no matter the month – I ALWAYS LOVE pink and they’re so cute.
You can start this project by gathering inspiration from your favorite pom pom fashion accessories. Pick out your colors and sizes, and let your imagination go crazy. Once I got started, it was so hard to not make a thousand of these, they’re just so cute and very delicious. I would definitely add these to my collection if I didn’t eat them first, ha!
The statement earring fashion cupcakes are such a sweet idea for bridal shows and birthdays this spring. A pair to wear & a pair to eat!
Statement Earring Fashion Cupcake
To make a sweet batch to match the statement earring fashion cupcake trend you will need:
(Each mini cupcake makes 1 earring, this recipe makes 12 cake balls or 4-6 pairs of edible earrings).
- 2 cups crumbled cake, you can use whatever flavor you’d like and your favorite cake recipe. I used cupcakes I had on hand.
- 1 recipe vanilla buttercream
- Lollipop sticks
- White candy melts
- Gel food coloring, I used pink
- Edible gold dust
- Decorating tips #2 and #233 (I used a few of the #233)
- Disposable piping bags
To make the vanilla buttercream frosting you will need:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Cream butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until light yellow and super fluffy
2. Slowly add powdered sugar and mix until well combined and then mix in vanilla extract.
3. Separate buttercream into several bowls and color with your gel food colors
4. Add buttercream colors to your piping bags, fitted with your #233 grass decorating tip
For this project, you’ll want a stiffer buttercream to see your fashion cupcake come to life.
Now it’s time to make your cake balls!
1. Mix together cake crumbs and 1 tablespoon of your buttercream at a time. You’re looking for your cake crumb dough to be smooth and hold it’s shape, but you don’t want it sticky with buttercream.
2. Shape 12 cake balls and place on a cookie sheet and put in the fridge for 20 minutes. You can really make any size and shape you want depending on what kind of pom earrings you want to make.
And now to make your edible earring hooks.
To top each of the fashion cupcake earrings with a hook, just like the real thing. Add melted white candy melts to a piping bag fitted with a #2 plain round tip. On a piece of parchment paper pipe out small question mark shapes for your earring hooks. Allow to dry. Paint hooks with edible gold dust and a little vanilla extract.
Let’s get creative!
Now’s the time to decide what kind of pom earrings you want to make. Lay out your earring hooks, lollipop sticks (these will be your “tubes” to connect your fashion cupcake like earrings), cake balls and colored buttercream.
For the ones I made, I inserted a 2” lollipop stick to a cake ball and secured with some melted white chocolate. I piped buttercream around the cake ball to form my pom. Attach white chocolate earring hooks and you’ve got the cutest pair of pom pom earrings you can eat!
For the second pair, I inserted a 1” lollipop stick and secured with white chocolate. Next, I added a gold fondant ball to the top for a pom pom earring with a gold stud. And just for giggles I painted some white fondant with edible gold dust and made a fancy pair of edible drop earrings to complete this super fun collection.
I’m so crazy about these and have so many ideas of how to use them this season. Let’s just say pineapple pom pom fashion cupcake earrings are on my to do list. ;) What kind of earrings will you make?
We’ve always loved the idea of fashion as treats and treats as fashion, check out these birthday cake shoes that equally satisfy our cravings.
(Project recipe, styling, and photography @A Subtle Revelry by Brandi Van Leer).