Inside: A delicious campfire dump cake recipe done in partnership with Disney Book Group.
My favorite time of year, camping time! Ah, who doesn’t love camping? You can camp in your backyard to the biggest mountain.
I think I love camping activities and campfires above everything else. I mean I could always do without the bugs and bears, but spending time around a fire, laughing and telling stories makes it all worth it to me!
Some of our favorite stories lately have been inspired by Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, which we’ve been reading this summer.
We finished all the books and my kids loved the series! It was the perfect boredom-buster for our annual summer road trip to Las Vegas. Now that we’ve all read it, we are having fun creating our own mythology stories to share together around a campfire. It’s a sweet way to process the best parts of the book series and bring them to life.
The kids really got lost in these stories and loved how the series wove together the best parts of their favorite topic, mythology. Its appearance in our lives was incredibly timely, because the kids have been studying similar concepts in school and it really brought their learning to life in a new fun way this summer.
Check the books out for yourself at ReadRiordan.com
My Favorite Campfire Dump Cakes
Okay now, let’s get to the sweet stuff, like what flavor of campfire dump cake to make while we tell our stories of our favorite Greek gods!
A dump cake is a simple combination of pie filling and cake mix that is perfect to enjoy over any campfire.
I have found 4 combos that turn out so tasty:
- Strawberry Filling + Vanilla Cake + Sprite: This combo reminds me of strawberry shortcake and it is our family favorite.
- Cherry Filling + Chocolate Cake + Dr. Pepper: YUM! Cherry and chocolate, sign me up. This one is one of the kids’ choices every time.
- Apple Filling + Yellow Cake + Sprite: I love this sweet combo.
- Peach Filling + Yellow Cake + Sprite: This is a melt-in-your-mouth take on peach cobbler. So GOOD!
The soda in these recipes are totally optional but I highly recommend using them. It makes the cake so moist and delicious.
A few other fun camping ideas for sitting around the fire.
1. Now I don’t think you can go camping without some good food, hence these yummy campfire dump cake recipes. But I also love these cinnamon roll campfire cakes. Second only to roasted hot dogs, these treats are a must on my campfire menu.
2. Another one of my favorite things about camping is playing fun games with my family, here is a list of some outdoor games to play.
3. After hiking, fishing and playing, one of my favorite things to do is to have time to relax with a great book (like the Percy Jackson books)!
4. We have spent many summer nights sitting around the campfire trading our own mythology stories and laughing this year thanks to our summer favorite, the Percy Jackson series.
Campfire Dump Cake
- 2 cans Fruit Pie Filling
- 1 box Cake Mix
- 1 12-ounce can of soda
- 1 stick butter
We used a springform pan for our campfire dump cake, and it worked beautifully! Just make sure to give it a good spray of non-stick spray before you start!
Next, pour in your 2 cans of fruit pie filling.
Then sprinkle your box cake mix over the top of the filling.
Make sure you DO NOT STIR. This is major to making the perfect dump cake.
Then pour in you 12oz can of soda. This step isn't required, but I defiantly recommend it!
Now cut up your 1 stick of butter and scatter them around the top of the cake.
For an extra sweet taste, sprinkle sugar on the top.
Let make for 15-20 minutes.
Campfire Dump Cake Recipe
I love this easy and yummy campfire dump cake recipe. It is sweet, delicious and one of my camping favorites. The most important part of making this cake is to make sure you DO NOT STIR the mixture. I know, I know, it seems unnatural to not stir all the ingredients together, but I promise you it will turn out wonderful. Trust me.
We made it all the way through the series together and I’m already looking for another fun book series to get lost in. What do you think we should read next?
PS. Another one of my favorite camping activities is putting together this huge DIY jigsaw puzzle.