On the scale of movies our family is excited about, the DreamWorks Trolls release is pretty high up there. My kid’s are obsessed and I’m in nostalgic heaven watching and remembering my own collection as a child. We’re preparing for a Trolls birthday party when the DVD officially releases on February 7, and even though we already watched the movie once in the theatre, something about inviting friends over to watch it with our fun trolls birthday party ideas at home is an entirely new experience.
Trolls Birthday Party
We whipped up bright trolls birthday party rainbow sprinkle dyed cupcakes and used my favorite trick of unrolling a package of wrapping paper on the table to create an easy Trolls backdrop for the party. Whenever we need a fun tablecloth for a party, I find a wrapping paper that fits the bill and just roll it out. The paper can instantly transform our dinning room and costs only a couple bucks to do. This way I also don’t feel bad when it has to be immediately thrown out after the party, because of messy kids and spilled drinks.
Topping sprinkle dyed cupcakes with actual trolls dolls has them do double duty as birthday party favors! Just make sure you wash the bottom of the dolls thoroughly before sticking them into frosting that the kids will devour.
Trolls Birthday Party Rainbow Sprinkle Dyed Cupcakes
To make the Trolls birthday party cupcakes you will need:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 whole egg plus 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cupcake holders (we made a mini version)
- Your favorite frosting recipe
- Rainbow jimmie sprinkles
1. Preheat an oven to 350°F. Line a mini 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. To make the trolls birthday party cupcakes start with a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the sugar and butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and add the egg and egg white one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla and 2 cups of the jimmies sprinkles.
4. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk in 2 additions, beating until just combined; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat just until no traces of flour remain, about 30 seconds; do not overbeat.
5. Divide the batter evenly in the muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Bake until the cupcakes are lightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Then transfer the cupcakes to the rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
6. Frost the cupcakes with your favorite frosting. Garnish with extra sprinkles and fun bright accessories to complete the look.
The sprinkles melt inside the trolls birthday party cupcakes making them burst with color, such a fun way to serve a sweet treat.
I would definitely suggest a viewing of the new DreamWorks Trolls DVD at your trolls birthday party and a batch of these colorful sprinkle cupcakes for. The DVD will release on February 7.
Ps. Other fun trolls birthday party ideas might include Unicorn Toast, Confetti balloons and this fun fabric twister game.
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Ashlyn Savannah Photo).