One of my favorite & most popular posts so far this year has been the unicorn toast creations. It seems like we all agree that our entire lives could use an injection of a bit more unicorn fun. So why not carry this fun over to Halloween with a unicorn toast Halloween costume!?!
This costume is everything I love about unicorns – in a whimsically updated and crazy easy to create fashion. It can be made in literally any size, plus with a flowy tulle skirt you’ll be ready for all the candy and creepy treats come Halloween day.
Unicorn Toast Halloween Costume
To make the Unicorn Toast Halloween Costume you will need:
- Skin colored leotard
- Skin colored tulle skirt, this one is PERFECT!
- Teal felt fabric (1 yard to make adult and child)
- Teal paint (dark, medium & light)
- Paint brush
- Gold mylar tissue (cut into small confetti pieces)
- Hot glue
- Adhesive velcro
- Head band
- Embroidery floss or string
1. Start from the top with a unicorn horn headband: From the felt fabric cut out a horn shape with the top point cut off.
2. Using a hot glue gun start at the top of the horn and slowly roll it into a point. Use the hot glue gun to secure it every roll or so.
3. When the top is completely rolled and glued in place. Bring both of the ends together and glue and stuff the horn with batting.
4. Cut a small circle of felt (x2. The second piece will come later) and close the horn’s opening with hot glue.
5. Start at the top of the horn, glue a piece of thread to the back where the felt piece meet. Wrap the thread around the horn, pulling it tight to give the horn definition. Cut the thread and glue the end to the bottom of the horn.
6. Glue the horn to the headband. Glue the second felt circle to the bottom of the horn, covering the headband. This will add more stability to the horn.
7. Cut teal fabric in a long rectangular shape with wavy edges. The width should be based on the width of your body.
8. Squirt dark teal, medium teal, and light teal paint in a squiggly manner long the length of fabric using a paint brush to smear it around a bit. Let dry.
9. Sprinkle the gold tissue paper on top, spreading it around. Hot glue in place.
Finally, attach the adhesive to back of felt and then onto the leotard front, It will hang down over the shirt to look like the topping of our favorite toast!
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Ali Denney).