To continue the summer mini-series on topping cakes with the easiest things ever (I’m still loving these faux flowers), this week I used animal cookies for a cake that is great fun for any kid’s birthday party. I hosted a sweet friends 1st birthday this weekend and we whipped up this cake to celebrate. Using a bag of the colorful circus animal sprinkle cookies makes an adorable display and is easy enough that anyone can make it happen.
Animal Cookie Birthday Cake
- You will need a cake (this is a great way to gussy up a store bought cake, or try a recipe from our Ultimate Birthday Cake Baking Guide – they are really good!)
- A bag of circus animal cookies
- One cup of frosting and a knife
1. Starting at the bottom of the cake and working up, place the animal cookies in rows along the cake. To get a good stick, use the knife to put a small dab of frosting on the back of each cookie – think of this as birthday cake glue.
2. Repeat until the entire cake is covered, filling the top and all the sides. Stick a couple candles in the cake for a simple and super sweet birthday cake solution.
I love finding easy ways to make all the cakes cuter – more fun ideas to come this summer.
PS. I am loving my concrete countertops and our new marble herringbone backsplash, see them in the background – we are shooting the finished kitchen this week and I can’t wait to show you soon. Eeek! It’s my new favorite place for all things baking related.
(Photography ©A Subtle Revelry by Erin Holland).