With nights getting warmer, ice cream and stars are obviously on my mind and what better way to combine that love than with galaxy inspired chocolate waffle cones! Galaxy inspired chocolate waffle cones are easily one of my favorite sweet treats, both the chocolate flavor and the waffle texture combine for a treat that is totally out of this world. See what I did there? ;)
Galaxy Inspired Chocolate Waffle Cones
First let’s talk about how to make amazing chocolate waffle cones. This recipe is crazy easy to create and the cones are so rich – you’ll love them. We are serving them up at home with galaxy inspired chocolate ice cream… but they are also amazing with cherry yogurt, animal cracker ice cream, pumpkin ice cream, mint chocolate chip, or go for a black and white tuxedo affect and serve them with old fashion vanilla.
Chocolate Waffle Cones
- 4 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. Unsweetened black cocoa powder
- 3 Egg whites
- 1/2 c. All-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
Place butter and cocoa powder in a small saucepan and melt, stiring until combined.
Using a hand mixer, whisk egg whites on high until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes.
Set aside and whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, and salt until evenly combined.
Combine the cocoa butter with the eggs and stir gently in a large bowl. Then combine the flour mixing with hand mixer on low until just combined, mix about 1/4 of the flour mixture at a time until all combined.
Preheat the waffle iron to medium high.
Once ready, place a half dollar sized amount of dough onto the waffle iron. Cook for about 1 minute.
Remove from the iron and working quickly, place around a waffle cone mold.
Hold for about 30 seconds, or until the form is set.
Allow cones to cool on a cooling rack before cooling, or they will melt your ice cream!
How To Make A Waffle Cone Without A Waffle Iron
If you don’t have a waffle iron, it’s totally okay! Instead make your chocolate waffle cone on a griddle with these quick recipe cooking adjustments.
- Make the batter as suggested above, it works great either way!
- Heat your griddle until it is HOT HOT HOT and use butter to grease it.
- Drop about a 7 inch diameter circle onto the very hot griddle. Don’t make your circle too small or you won’t be able to complete the cone.
- Cook until crisp looking, all bubbles popped and completely cooked through. Pull off griddle one by one to immediately mold into a your chocolate waffle cones.
- If you don’t have a waffle cone mold (which I’m guessing you don’t here), you can use a thick piece of card stock rolled into a cone and taped and covered in wax paper to mold your cones.
- Roll the crisp HOT waffle around the cone and let set until it cools and hardens. Cool completely before filling with galaxy chocolate ice cream.
Galaxy Chocolate Ice Cream Cone
To create a galaxy inspired ice cream, we’ve taken our favorite chocolate ice cream and matched it to our chocolate waffle cones by recreating the first recipe step above and then adding about 1/4 cup per 1 cup of the cocoa powder butter (step 1 above), to the ice cream and mixing quickly before refreezing to serve.
Then I am loving adding in these fun starlike sprinkles for a cone that is not only extra amazing tasting. That butter cocoa concoction I describe above is legit! I could honestly just eat it right out of the pan. Ha! But it’s better to make something else taste amazing with it. This galaxy inspired ice cream recipe will quickly fill all your starry night summer dreams.
Create an entire summer star party spread with this star wall decor, bright paper stars, origami star candle holders, and even galaxy inspired balloons.
(Chocolate Cone Photography ©Lyuba Burakova/Stocksy United).